Very high fire risk in Corfu on Wednesday 4 August
CORFU. According to the Fire Risk Map issued by the General Secretariat for Civil Protection (www.civilprotection.gr), the fire risk for Corfu today, Wednesday 04/08, is very high (Level 4).
The responsible government services involved, as well as the Ionian Islands
Regional services, are in readiness to deal immediately with any case of fire.
Additionally, by decision of the Deputy Regional Governor for Corfu Amalia Andrioti, on 4 August pedestrians and all vehicles are prohibited from the following high-risk areas between 15:00 and 07:00 (the next day):
(a) Agios Mathaios Forest and Arkoudilas in South Corfu Municipality,
(b) Mon Repos, Lazaretto Island, Vidos Island and Pontikonisi Island in Central Corfu & Diapontia Islands Municipality and
(c) Erimitis, Panagia, Agios Nikolaos and Antipaxos in Paxos.
The Corfu Police Department, the Corfu Fire Service and the Corfu Central Port Authority are responsible for the implementation of the above decision.
1. For citizens to protect themselves from fire risks, the following guidelines apply:
If you are outdoors:
– Don’t burn litter or dry vegetation and small branches (twigs) during the summer.
– Remove all dry branches from trees and bushes.
– Don’t light outdoor grills/barbecues in wooded areas or areas with dry vegetation during the summer.
– Avoid activities that could cause fire (e.g. welding or using tools that cause sparks)
– Don’t throw away lit cigarettes.
– Don’t leave rubbish in woods. There is danger of ignition.
– Obey the Access Prohibited notices in periods of high risk.
– Avoid beekeeping work.
If you see a fire:
Call the Fire Department IMMEDIATELY on 199 or the European Emergency Number 112 and provide the following information:
– Your exact location
– The exact location of the fire and the direction it is moving
– The kind of vegetation that is burning
2. For further information and guidance on how to protect yourself from the risks of forest fires, visit the General Secretariat for Civil Protection website at www.civilprotection.gr.